Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
Tom,

For starters, let's talk strictly about improving the deployment situation, which the core team *is* uniquely positioned to do.

The pl/java author(s) should figure out what needs to be done but once that's known we need to do *something* in core so the deployment process is reduced to 1-2 steps max (CREATE EXTENSION pljava, and add Java to Postgresql's library path).

But what the core team has done is provide a pretty stable interface for getting to that point.  The extension interface is well documented and quite stable IME.  If the pl/java project can't get it to a point where you can make && make install, then I don't see what would possibly benefit from getting into core.

But if they get to that point then it can be on pgxn and you could install it with a pgxn client installation tool that would make things easy.

Gili

On 18/09/2014 12:31 AM, Tom Lane-2 [via PostgreSQL] wrote:
John R Pierce <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 9/17/2014 5:02 PM, cowwoc wrote:
>> This shouldn't be too technically difficult to pull off.

> right.

>   wait, which user?    the java user/developer who typically hasn't a
> clue how system-level stuff functions or operates, or the postgresql
> database administrator, who probably hasn't a clue how java works
> internally ?

There are a number of reasons why this (pl/java in core) isn't likely
to happen; one being that I think a good fraction of the core PG
developers fall into the "haven't a clue how java works internally"
camp.  But here's the *key* reason: if pl/java is failing to stay afloat
as an external project, that is a terrible reason for pulling it into
core.  It suggests strongly that the manpower or interest to keep it
going simply doesn't exist.  Making it part of the core distribution
would not fix that, and moreover it would demand attention from PG core
developers who are not particularly motivated or capable to do anything
with it.

If you feel that pl/java isn't sufficiently well maintained, the
short answer is that you should get involved with it as it is.
In the end, open source is all about "scratch your own itch".

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Why-isn-t-Java-support-part-of-Postgresql-core-tp5819025p5819443.html
To unsubscribe from Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?, click here.
NAML

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Сообщение: Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Сообщение: Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?