Re: [GENERAL] Confused about max_standby_streaming_delay

От Robert Inder
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Confused about max_standby_streaming_delay
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 6 September 2017 at 20:47, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:

Have I misunderstood something?  Or is Postgres not actually configured the way I think it is?

The standby will wait for ten minutes to obtain the lock it wishes to obtain.  In 9.4, if something other than dump of database b was already blocking it for 8 minutes before the dump starts, then the dump of database b will only have 2 minutes, not 10, before it gets cancelled.

Hmmmm...
You're saying that the time for dumping database b may be spent 8 minutes waiting on a lock then 2 minutes actually dumping.

But would it not still be at least 10 minutes elapsed between the finish time of the previous dump and the following dump starting (let alone finishing)?  And that's what I'm not seeing...

When one dump fails, there is no 10-minute gap in the mod. times of the other successful dump files....

So, are there any long running jobs in database b other than the pg_dump?
​There shouldn't be.

The standby server is (well, should be!) essentially idle:
 we're using it to do the dumps, so that they don't
 get under the feet of live queries, but ​(I think -- I'll have to check!) that is all

Cheers,

Jeff

​Robert.​

--
Robert Inder,                                    0131 229 1052 / 07808 492 213
Interactive Information Ltd,   3, Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 9HH