Re: IDLE in transaction introspection

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: IDLE in transaction introspection
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Actually, for the future, it might be useful to have a "state" column,
> that holds the idle/in transaction/running status, instead of the
> tools having to parse the query text to get that information...

+1 for doing it this way.  Splitting "current_query" into "query" and
"state" would be more elegant and easier to use all around.

I'm all for splitting it out actually.  My concern was that I would break the 'ba-gillion' monitoring tools that already have support for pg_stat_activity if I dropped a column.  What if we had:

   'state' :             idle | in transaction | running ( per Robert )

   Sorry per Robert and Jaime

   'current_query' :  the most recent query (either last / currently running)

   That may be a bit tougher to get across to people though (especially in the case where state='<IDLE>').

 I'll rework this when I don't have trick-or-treaters coming to the front door :)

--
 Scott Mead

--
Robert Haas