Re: functions with side effect

От Torsten Förtsch
Тема Re: functions with side effect
Дата
Re: functions with side effect
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 6:35 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 07/19/2018 07:15 AM, Torsten Förtsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> assuming
>
> SELECT nextval('s'), currval('s');
>
> or
>
> SELECT * FROM (VALUES (nextval('s'), currval('s'))) t;
>
> is there any guarantee that the 2 output values are the same?

Assuming you are only working in single session:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/functions-sequence.html

"currval

     Return the value most recently obtained by nextval for this
sequence in the current session. (An error is reported if nextval has
never been called for this sequence in this session.) Because this is
returning a session-local value, it gives a predictable answer whether
or not other sessions have executed nextval since the current session did."

I know that. My question was about the execution order of f1 and f2 in "SELECT f1(), f2()". In theory they can be executed in any order. But since the side effect in nextval determines the result of currval, I am asking if that order is well-defined or considered an implementation detail like in C.