Re: pg_notify contention

От Torsten Förtsch
Тема Re: pg_notify contention
Дата
Список pgsql-general
As part of the commit operation, Postgres inserts the notification into a queue. Naturally, that insert is guarded by a lock and that lock is released only at the very end of the commit operation. This effect gets much worse if you also configure synchronous replication because commit finishes only when the desired sync level has been achieved.

An alternative solution could be to receive notification through the WAL stream. Use pg_revclogical to connect to a replication slot configured with wal2json. Then you can send notifications with pg_logical_emit_message() for instance which even allows you to send notifications from aborted transactions.

Setup:
SELECT * FROM pg_create_logical_replication_slot('w2j', 'wal2json');

Here is a sender:
CREATE SCHEMA notify;
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION notify.send(
    transactional BOOLEAN,
    channel TEXT,
    message TEXT
) RETURNS PG_LSN AS $$
    SELECT pg_logical_emit_message(
               transactional,
               'NOTIFY_'||channel,
               jsonb_build_object(
                   'txn_start', now()::TEXT,
                   'pid', pg_backend_pid(),
                   'message', message
               )::TEXT
           );
$$ LANGUAGE sql VOLATILE;

And something like this as a receiver / distributor:
sudo -iu postgres /usr/lib/postgresql/$VERSION/bin/pg_recvlogical \
     -d 'port=5432 dbname=your_database' \
     -S w2j \
     -f - \
     -F 0 \
     --start \
     -o include-xids=1 \
     -o include-timestamp=1 \
     -o add-tables=notify.\* \
     -o format-version=2 |
jq 'select(.action=="M" and (.prefix | test("^NOTIFY_"))) |
    . as $x |
    .content |
    fromjson + {
        "channel": ($x.prefix | .[7:]),
        "xid": $x.xid,
        "txn_commit": $x.timestamp,
        "transactional": $x.transactional
    }'

Note, this is not a 100% replacement. The semantics are slightly different. You also need a replication slot which comes with its own maintenance cost. But maybe it's worth a try.

Have fun,
Torsten