Re: Shared system resources

От oleg yusim
Тема Re: Shared system resources
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jim,

Help me out with this statement:

"There's tons of raw data stored in the shared memory segment, and some of that can be copied to process local memory at any time. If they OS doesn't secure that adequately there's certainly nothing that Postgres or any other database can do about it."

To my knowledge, many databases are using what called TDE to encrypt data at rest and protect data from being accessed by attacker on host this way. Here is the reference to quick guide on it: https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/transparent-data-encryption/

Now, when you are saying " tons of raw data stored in the shared memory segment, and some of that can be copied to process local memory at any time" what kind of memory you are referring too? Is it that files, which generally end up being protected with TDE, or is it a buffer memory, which get's used by database processes, but doesn't belong to database permanent storage?

Can you give me more details here, so I would understand the actual mapping and scale of the issue?

Thanks,

Oleg