Proposal to Compile a 256-Byte Identifier Length Version Alongside the Current 64-Byte Version

От David HJ
Тема Proposal to Compile a 256-Byte Identifier Length Version Alongside the Current 64-Byte Version
Дата
Re: Proposal to Compile a 256-Byte Identifier Length Version Alongside the Current 64-Byte Version
Список pgsql-general
Hello PostgreSQL Community,

I am writing to propose an alternative compilation of PostgreSQL that allows for a 256-byte identifier length limit, alongside the existing 64-byte version.

Problem:
The current limit of 63 bytes can be quite restrictive, especially for databases that use multi-byte character sets like UTF-8. In such cases, a Chinese character takes up 3 bytes, limiting the name to just 21 characters.

Use-Case:
In specific use-cases, table names like "能源消耗统计_全球主要国家石油与天然气使用量_年度碳排放与可再生能源比例表" and "气候变化研究_全球主要地区极端天气事件频率_年度灾害损失与应对措施表" can far exceed the current limit.

Proposed Solution:
I propose that we offer an alternative compilation of PostgreSQL that increases the NAMEDATALEN constant to allow for 256-byte identifiers. This would be particularly useful for databases that make extensive use of multi-byte character sets like UTF-8.

Dual Compilation:
To maintain backward compatibility and to offer more flexibility, I suggest compiling this 256-byte version alongside the existing 64-byte version. Users could then choose which version best suits their needs.

Backward Compatibility:
I understand that this change could affect backward compatibility. Offering this as an alternative compilation could be a way to mitigate those concerns. I am open to suggestions on how this could be implemented to minimize disruptions.

I look forward to your feedback and hope we can make PostgreSQL even more adaptable to various needs.

Best regards,
Chuxiong