Re: GUC-ify walsender MAX_SEND_SIZE constant

От Jakub Wartak
Тема Re: GUC-ify walsender MAX_SEND_SIZE constant
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> My understanding of Majid's use-case for tuning MAX_SEND_SIZE is that the
> bottleneck is storage, not network. The reason MAX_SEND_SIZE affects that is
> that it determines the max size passed to WALRead(), which in turn determines
> how much we read from the OS at once.  If the storage has high latency but
> also high throughput, and readahead is disabled or just not aggressive enough
> after crossing segment boundaries, larger reads reduce the number of times
> you're likely to be blocked waiting for read IO.
>
> Which is also why I think that making MAX_SEND_SIZE configurable is a really
> poor proxy for improving the situation.
>
> We're imo much better off working on read_stream.[ch] support for reading WAL.

Well then that would be a consistent message at least, because earlier
in [1] it was rejected to have prefetch the WAL segment but on the
standby side, where the patch was only helping in configurations
having readahead *disabled* for some reason.

Now Majid stated that he uses "RBD" - Majid, any chance to specify
what that RBD really is ? What's the tech? What fs? Any ioping or fio
results? What's the blockdev --report /dev/XXX output ? (you stated
"high" latency and "high" bandwidth , but it is relative, for me 15ms+
is high latency and >1000MB/s sequential, but it would help others in
future if you could specify it by the exact numbers please). Maybe
it's just a matter of enabling readahead (line in [1]) there and/or
using a higher WAL segment during initdb.

[1] -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CADVKa1WsQMBYK_02_Ji%3DpbOFnms%2BCT7TV6qJxDdHsFCiC9V_hw%40mail.gmail.com