Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

От Mahendra Singh Thalor
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 19:04, Mahendra Singh Thalor <mahi6run@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 17:27, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:05 AM Masahiko Sawada
> > <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you for updating the patch! I have a few small comments.
> > >

> > I have adapted all your changes, fixed the comment by Mahendra related
> > to initializing parallel state only when there are at least two
> > indexes.  Additionally, I have changed a few comments (make the
> > reference to parallel vacuum consistent, at some places we were
> > referring it as 'parallel lazy vacuum' and at other places it was
> > 'parallel index vacuum').
> >
> > > The
> > > rest looks good to me.
> > >

> > Okay, I think the patch is in good shape.  I am planning to read it a
> > few more times (at least 2 times) and then probably will commit it
> > early next week (Monday or Tuesday) unless there are any major
> > comments.  I have already committed the API patch (4d8a8d0c73).
> >

> Hi,
> Thanks Amit for fixing review comments.
>
> I reviewed v48 patch and below are some comments.
>
> 1.
> +    * based on the number of indexes.  -1 indicates a parallel vacuum is
>
> I think, above should be like "-1 indicates that parallel vacuum is"
>
> 2.
> +/* Variables for cost-based parallel vacuum  */
>
> At the end of comment, there is 2 spaces.  I think, it should be only 1 space.
>
> 3.
> I think, we should add a test case for parallel option(when degree is not specified).
> Ex:
> postgres=# VACUUM (PARALLEL) tmp;
> ERROR:  parallel option requires a value between 0 and 1024
> LINE 1: VACUUM (PARALLEL) tmp;
>                 ^
> postgres=#
>
> Because above error is added in this parallel patch, so we should have test case for this to increase code coverage.

Hi
Below are some more review comments for v48 patch.

1.
#include "storage/bufpage.h"
#include "storage/lockdefs.h"
+#include "storage/shm_toc.h"
+#include "storage/dsm.h"

Here, order of header file is not alphabetically. (storage/dsm.h
should come before storage/lockdefs.h)

2.
+    /* No index supports parallel vacuum */
+    if (nindexes_parallel == 0)
+        return 0;
+
+    /* The leader process takes one index */
+    nindexes_parallel--;

Above code can be rearranged as:

+    /* The leader process takes one index */
+    nindexes_parallel--;
+
+    /* No index supports parallel vacuum */
+    if (nindexes_parallel <= 0)
+        return 0;

If we do like this, then in some cases, we can skip some calculations
of parallel workers.

--
Thanks and Regards
Mahendra Singh Thalor