Re: postgres with xcode

От Sumit Chaturvedi
Тема Re: postgres with xcode
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks a lot for spending time to write all these elaborate answers. They were all really helpful. Finally I gave up on xcode and switched to eclipse. Probably for the best.
I was attempting to do all this in the first place because in our course in college, we have to do a project. Almost all people make a web/mobile app which simply uses a database. I felt that this wasn't a right project to do if one really wanted to learn about databases.
So I wanted to play around with Postgresql itself. I have looked at the TODO list and it has given me a lot of ideas. If anyone has any thoughts/ideas which they didn't have time to pursue but are interesting, please let me know?

With warm regards

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 8:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Sumit Chaturvedi <sumit.chaturvedi@gmail.com> writes:
> So although the problem is with xcode. I have a feeling that it is not
> because of LC_ALL.
> So my point is that maybe the hint is not entirely correct..

At the time that HINT was written, the only reason we knew of for a
production postmaster to become multithreaded under macOS was for libintl
to start an extra thread while trying to find out the default locale.
That could be prevented by setting LC_ALL, hence the hint.

I wonder whether starting the postmaster under xcode inherently
causes extra threads to be present (for debugging?).  There are
quite a number of PG developers who use Macs, including me, but
I don't use xcode for PG and I think others don't either.

In any case, I concur with the upthread advice not to take out
the anti-multithreading check.  The postmaster will not work
reliably if there are extra threads in it, so you'd just be
dooming yourself to crashes and frustration.

Usually the thing you want to trace is not the postmaster anyway,
but some session backend.  The best bet is to start the postmaster
normally, start psql or your other client of choice, then identify
which backend process is connected to that client and attach to it
with gdb/lldb.  Perhaps xcode can do an "attach to running process",
though at this point I'm wondering if it starts extra threads when
it does so.

Sumit Chaturvedi