Re: [pgadmin-hackers] i18n GER, suggestions, questions

От Murtuza Zabuawala
Тема Re: [pgadmin-hackers] i18n GER, suggestions, questions
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:27 AM, Jonas Thelemann
<e-mail@jonas-thelemann.de> wrote:
> Thanks for committing! :)
>
>>> i18n-trim.diff
>>>
>>> Removed two linebreaks to improve translation experience.
>>
>> Hmm, I've applied that, but expect an ongoing battle between gettext and
>> PEP8...
>>
> Ok, I had to look up what PEP8 is :D
> So the only problem was that, with those newlines I removed, the
> translatable strings contained many extremely useless whitespaces inserted
> by the code indentation. I guess a workaround could be to just remove the
> spaces like I've seen somewhere else already:
>
> ----------
> ----------"""abc \n
> def"""
> ----------
>
> instead of:
>
> ----------
> ----------"""abc def"""
> ----------
>
> and:
>
> ----------
> ----------"""abc \n
> ----------def"""
> ----------
>
> ... where dashes represent whitespaces.
> But that is just an idea and something somebody with better Python knowledge
> should decide :)

Hmm, yeah. So we really need the messages to be a single string, as
the splits may not make sense in other languages, so this won't work:

This will return single string only, python won't add any extra whitespace or new line with this format.
>>> print("Hello " \
...       "How are you")

This will result in extra whitespace:

>>> print("Hello \
...        How are you")

Whilst this will result in an extra line break:

>>> print("""Hello
... How are you""")

I'm beginning to think we have no choice but to ignore PEP8 and not
allow strings to wrap except where we want them to. I can't find
anything on Google about other alternatives - EDB guys, any
suggestions?

>> Can you provide patches for the changes above?
>
> Yes, I can do that, but not right away. I currently have some other things
> to complete in the next few weeks, but I'll try to fit that in.

Cool, thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com