Login into PostgreSQL without password

От Murtuza Zabuawala
Тема Login into PostgreSQL without password
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I have created a role using below sql, then I disconnected & try to login into postgres db with newly created user "test_role", It prompt for password and I pressed Enter key because I did not provided any password when I created role so it throw me an error as below Error: fe_sendauth: no password supplied.

Can someone please explain this behaviour of postgreSQL database, where I'm not allowed to login without password even if I do not have password set for "test_role" user?

The work around is I had to manually edit pg_hba conf and change authentication method to trust for this user so that i can login without password.

And If that's how postgreSQL authentication works, then can we add a mechanism to disallow user to create role without password if running with md5 authentication mode?

SQL Query used to create role:

CREATE USER test_role WITH
LOGIN
SUPERUSER