Does PGAdmin support the PGPASSFILE environment variable?

От Davide Ronchi
Тема Does PGAdmin support the PGPASSFILE environment variable?
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hello.

I am using PGAdmin and the PostgreSQL ODBC driver on Windows.

The PostgreSQL documentation says that "The file .pgpass in a user's home directory or the file referenced by PGPASSFILE can contain passwords to be used if the connection requires a password"

This works perfectly with the ODBC driver. If I set the PGPASSFILE system environment variable, the ODBC libraries read it and read the appropriate password from the file.

However, this doesn't seem to be the case for PGAdmin. I tried PGAdmin 1.16.1, 1.18.1 and the latest beta, and none of them seems to read the pgpass file specified in the environment variable, instead defaulting to %AppData%\PostgreSQL\pgpass.conf.

If I look in the source code, it looks like the path to pgpass.conf is hardcoded to %AppData%\PostgreSQL\pgpass.conf on Windows, and to ~/.pgpass on Linux.

Is this expected behaviour? Shouldn't PGPass support the PGPASSFILE environment variable like PostgreSQL does?

Thanks!
Davide Ronchi