Re: Importing directly from BCP files

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Importing directly from BCP files
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 16 November 2015 at 15:31, Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anybody have any documentation on what a BCP file from SQL server looks like?

That appears to depend on the -f option

There's more details on the format files here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-nz/library/ms191516.aspx

Have you tried opening a file in a text editor to see what they look like?

I have a directory full of BCP files and I would like to import them into PG.

The default format seems to be separating values with a tab character.

The bulk import command in PostgreSQL is COPY, so you'll likely want to look at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-copy.html
Let's assume you have *.bcp files in the default format with values separated with tabs, you could open up psql and use a command something along the lines of:

copy <table name> from '<filename>' delimiter ' '; -- <- use a tab character between the quotes.

Of course, you'll need to create the table first with CREATE TABLE.

Has anybody done anything like this before?

I'd imagine that it's fairly common.

--
 David Rowley                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/