Re: 2019-03 CF Summary / Review - Tranche #2

От David Rowley
Тема Re: 2019-03 CF Summary / Review - Tranche #2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 15:50, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2019/02/18 11:13, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> > From: Andres Freund [mailto:andres@anarazel.de]
> >> - Speed up planning with partitions
> >>
> >>   NR: Important feature, but based on a skim of the discussion this
> >>   doesn't seem ready for v12.
> >>
> >>   Andres: punt to v13
> >
> >> - Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations are
> >>   accessed in a transaction
> >>
> >>   NR: This has only been submitted 2019-02-12. While not a really
> >>   complicated patch, it's also not trivial. Therefore I'd say this falls
> >>   under our policy of not merging nontrivial patches first submitted to
> >>   the last CF.
> >>
> >>   Andres: punt to v13
> >
> > I hope these will be continued in PG 12, because these will make PostgreSQL comparable to a commercial database in
OLTPworkloads.  I'd like to hear from Amit and David on the feasibility.

> As far as the first one is concerned (speed up planning with partitions),
> although there's no new functionality [1], there is quite a bit of code
> churn affecting somewhat complex logic of inheritance planning.

I think we need to treat each patch in that series individually.  Last
time I looked, the first 1 or 2 patches looked very close.   I know
there's some tricky stuff in later patches in the series, but I don't
think that should stop earlier patches being committed for PG12.
However, I'd say that if the entire thing is to make PG12 then we'll
need to start ticking off earlier patches pretty soon, likely before
March.