Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning

От David Rowley
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 8 April 2018 at 00:23, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> I edited it as attached, to 1. avoid mentioning functionality that
> doesn't yet exist, and 2. avoid excessive internal detail (we want a
> high-level overview here), which from experience gets outdated pretty
> quickly.

It's not exactly wrong but:

+ * are turned into a set of "pruning steps", which are then executed to
+ * produce a set of RTIs of partitions whose bounds satisfy the constraints in
+ * the step.  Partitions not in the set are said to have been pruned.

It's only prune_append_rel_partitions which is only used for the
planner's pruning needs that converts the partition indexes to RTIs.
Would it be better to mention that the output is partition indexes?
Maybe:

"which are then executed to produce a set of partition indexes whose
bounds satisfy the constraints in the step. These partition indexes
may then be translated into RTIs", or maybe even not mention the RTIs.