Re: Spilling hashed SetOps and aggregates to disk

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Spilling hashed SetOps and aggregates to disk
Дата
Re: Spilling hashed SetOps and aggregates to disk  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Re: Spilling hashed SetOps and aggregates to disk  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5 June 2018 at 06:52, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> That part has gotten a bit easier since, because we have serialize /
> deserialize operations for aggregates these days.

True. Although not all built in aggregates have those defined.

> I wonder whether, at least for aggregates, the better fix wouldn't be to
> switch to feeding the tuples into tuplesort upon memory exhaustion and
> doing a sort based aggregate.  We have most of the infrastructure to do
> that due to grouping sets. It's just the pre-existing in-memory tuples
> that'd be problematic, in that the current transition values would need
> to serialized as well.  But with a stable sort that'd not be
> particularly problematic, and that could easily be achieved.

Isn't there still a problem determining when the memory exhaustion
actually happens though?   As far as I know, we've still little
knowledge how much memory each aggregate state occupies.

Jeff tried to solve this in [1], but from what I remember, there was
too much concern about the overhead of the additional accounting code.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAKJS1f8yvvvj-sVDv_bcxkzcZKq0ZOTVhX0dHfnYDct2Mycq5Q%40mail.gmail.com#CAKJS1f8yvvvj-sVDv_bcxkzcZKq0ZOTVhX0dHfnYDct2Mycq5Q@mail.gmail.com