Re: PostgreSQL 12 Beta 1 press release draft

От David Rowley
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 12 Beta 1 press release draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 22 May 2019 at 15:39, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Speaking of feedback, please provide me with your feedback on the
> technical correctness of this announcement so I can incorporate changes
> prior to the release.

Seems like a pretty good summary. Thanks for writing that up.

Couple notes from my read through:

> help with length index rebuilds that could cause potential downtime evens when
> administration a PostgreSQL database in a production environment.

length -> lengthy?
evens -> events? (mentioned by Justin)
administration -> administering? (mentioned by Justin)

> PostgreSQL 12 also provides improvements to the performance of both
> using `COPY` with a partitioned table as well as the `ATTACH PARTITION`
> operation. Additionally, the ability to use foreign keys to reference
> partitioned tables is now allowed in PostgreSQL 12.

I'd say nothing has been done to improve the performance of ATTACH
PARTITION. Robert did reduce the lock level required for that
operation, but that should make it any faster.

I think it would be good to write:

PostgreSQL 12 also provides improvements to the performance of both
`INSERT` and `COPY` into a partitioned table.  `ATTACH PARTITION` can
now also be performed without blocking concurrent queries on the
partitioned table.  Additionally, the ability to use foreign keys to
reference partitioned tables is now allowed in PostgreSQL 12.

> ### Most-common Value Statistics

I think this might be better titled:

### Most-common Value Extended Statistics

which is slightly different from what Alexander mentioned. I think we
generally try to call them "extended statistics", even if the name of
the command does not quite agree. git grep -i "extended stat" shows
more interesting results than git grep -i "column stat" when done in
the doc directory.  Either way, I think it's slightly confusing to
title this the way it is since we already have MCV stats and have had
for a long time.