Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On Monday, March 21, 2016, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 2:09 PM, David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, March 21, 2016, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> "David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I'd rather not omit sleep but removing "Watch every" is fine (preferred
>> > actually), so:
>> > Title Is Here     Mon Mar 21 15:05:06 2016 (5s)
>>
>> Meh ... seems a bit awkward to me.  Couldn't you include " (5s)" in the
>> title, if you want that info?  If it's variable, you could still
>> accommodate that:
>
> Actually, only if it's a variable that you setup and repeat and you show.  A
> bit cumbersome and mixes the parts that are title and those that are present
> only because you are watching.

Ah, come on.  This doesn't really seem like an issue we should spend
more time quibbling about.  I think Tom's version is fine.

Tom doesn't care enough to veto and you don't really care...

I'll admit it's awkward because it's abbreviated but if someone enters \watch 5 and then sees (5s) in the title I think they can put two and two together.

If the watched query takes a long to run, or there is a disruption, knowing when the last one ran and how often it is supposed to run is useful info to have at ones fingertips.  I have done this myself occasionally so I'm not speaking from theory.  But I won't complain if its removed.

David J.