Re: BUG #16486: Prompted password is ignored when password specifiedin connection string

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #16486: Prompted password is ignored when password specifiedin connection string
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 2:36 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Assuming that we have the user u1 with the password p1, the following
> command:
> psql -U u1 'dbname=postgres password=p1' -W
> prompts for a password but the input password is effectively ignored.

The entire point of the -W switch is that it prompts whether or not
the password is going to be used for anything.  If you don't like that,
don't use -W.

A more intuitive interpretation of -W is that it prompts for a password, regardless of valid values being provided by other configuration, and uses that password exclusively to attempt to connect to the server.

The documentation doesn't actually say which one of those two interpretations is correct.

And regardless of which interpretation is intended the OP seems to demonstrate that either interpretation is reality depending on which combination of configuration sources provide the non-prompted password.  That inconsistency seems undesirable.

David J.