Re: [HACKERS] search path security issue?

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [HACKERS] search path security issue?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
On 10/05/2017 02:54 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>>wrote:

    I get being able to change my search_path on the fly but it seems
    odd that as user foo I can change my default search path?

Seems down-right thoughtful of us to allow users to change their own defaults instead of forcing them to always change things on-the-fly or bug a DBA to change the default for them.

It seems that if a super user changes the search path with ALTER USER/ROLE, then the user itself should not (assuming not an elevated privilege) should not be able to change it. Again, I get being able to do it with SET but a normal user shouldn't be able to reset a super user determined setting.

If the superuser really wanted to enforce it they could, a bit verbosely, set the default for the user for every database explicitly so that the database+role setting takes precedence over the role-only setting.​

I get where you are coming from but there is no demonstrated security-related reason to enforce such a restriction and so adding the book-keeping necessary to track "who done it" (i.e. mere presence of a value is an insufficient distinguishing characteristic) has a cost but no benefit (if the superuser is upset that someone changed their own default search_path the fact that said user is entrusted with login credentials should be questioned).

David J.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] fork()-safety, thread-safety
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] fork()-safety, thread-safety