Re: Performance hit if I create multiple DBs on same instance

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Performance hit if I create multiple DBs on same instance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 7:36 AM David Gauthier <davegauthierpg@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi:

11.3 on linux

I've come up with a plan to archive data from my main DB which involves creating other DBs on the same server.  But even though there will be zero activity on the archive DBs in terms of insert/update/delete, and almost no activity in terms of select, I'm still worried that the mere existence of these other DBs will steal resources away from the instance and degrade performance in my main DB. So my question is whether or not that worry is valid or not.

Thanks in Advance for any help !

As long as you use the same cluster there shouldn't be any material difference between having multiple tables in the same database and those tables existing in another database in the same cluster.  The cluster-level resources are the same in either case and have the same number of objects to worry about.

David J.