Re: text fields and performance for ETL

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: text fields and performance for ETL
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Friday, November 5, 2021, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> Perhaps, right before the tip you quoted, something like that:
>
>   If your use case requires a length limit on character data, or compliance
>   with the SQL standard is important, use "character varying".
>   Otherwise, you are usually better off with "text".

I can support that if others think it is valuable.

The motivating complaint is that we should be encouraging people to use varchar(4000) instead of text so external tools can optimize.  If we are not going to do that I really don’t see the pointing in changing away from out current position of “only use text”.  True length limit requirements for data are rare, and better done in constraints along with all other the other constraint that may exist for the data.  I believe comments with respect to the SQL standard are already present and adequate.

David J.