Re: v16 roles, SET FALSE, INHERIT FALSE, ADMIN FALSE

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: v16 roles, SET FALSE, INHERIT FALSE, ADMIN FALSE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 3:58 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
I'd argue that INHERIT TRUE should be required.  The point of SET TRUE
with INHERIT FALSE is that you must *explicitly* do SET ROLE or
equivalent in order to have access to the privileges of the referenced
role.

I think that blast radius is too large for v16.  Arguable for v17.  All pre-v-16 roles encountered during upgrade will have SET true and those roles are able to login today but a non-trivial number I would expect to be unable to if we require INHERIT.

It would be nicer to do away with the default connect grant to public, expect the group role to have the connect privilege on the desired database, and let the user role inherit that in lieu of granting it out explicitly, if we are into v18 feature requests.  By the time the newbie stops using postgres superuser for everything they can add a connect grant here or there.

There is no opportunity to issue SET ROLE before logging in,
but ISTM that means you don't get the privilege, not that you
magically get it without asking.  Otherwise, why did we build this
additional level of grant specificity at all?

Mostly for the pre-defined roles, and just general explicitness.  So inherit could be per-role-membership instead per-role.  HBA group specification rules wasn't a motivating drive if it was considered at all.  Unbreaking CREATEROLE.

An analogous case is that having
some privileges on table(s) in some schema does not give you the right
to bypass needing USAGE on the schema in order to access those tables.

That sounds like the Connect privilege noted above.  While +role could be seen as a sImple text-expander for pg_hba.conf, not a privilege check in its own right.  We don't explicitly exclude users lacking the login attribute from the 'all' specification.  They are allowed to match and then their login attribute and database-specific connect privilege is checked.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: v16 roles, SET FALSE, INHERIT FALSE, ADMIN FALSE
Сообщение: Re: v16 roles, SET FALSE, INHERIT FALSE, ADMIN FALSE