Re: ERROR: type of parameter 1 (fruit2) does not match that when preparing the plan (fruit1)

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: ERROR: type of parameter 1 (fruit2) does not match that when preparing the plan (fruit1)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Moving discussion to -hackers

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 12:46 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 10:08 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Maybe we could improve this situation by treating a "record" parameter
>> as polymorphic, though that might cause some odd inconsistencies with
>> plpgsql's historical treatment of "record" local variables.

> The extent of needing to treat "record" as polymorphic-like seems like it
> would be limited to resolve_polymorphic_argtype in funcapi.c.  Namely, in
> computing the hash key for the compiled hash entry for the function.
> Similar to how we append the trigger oid in compute_function_hashkey in
> pl.compile (which ultimately calls the former) so trigger invocations
> become per-table.

I'm hesitant to touch funcapi.c for this; the scope of potential
side-effects becomes enormous as soon as you do.

Agreed, though the only caller of this particular function seems to be in plpgsql/pl_comp.c anyway...one more-or-less directly from do_compile and the other via compute_function_hashkey, so its presence in funcapi.c seems unusual.

But, to get rid of the cache error it seems sufficient to simply ensure we compute a hash key that considers the called types.

That do_compile doesn't see these substitutions is a positive for minimal potential impact with no apparent downside.

I added the test case from the -bug email (I'd probably change it to match the "scenario" for the file for a final version).

 I have some questions in the code that I could probably get answers for via tests - would including those tests be acceptable (defaults, named-argument-calling, output argmode)?

I did check-world without issue - but I suspect this to be under-tested and not naturally used in the course of unrelated testing.

David J.

+       /*
+        * Saved compiled functions with record-typed input args to a hashkey
+        * that substitutes all known actual composite type OIDs in the
+        * call signature for the corresponding generic record OID from
+        * the definition signature.  This avoids a probable error:
+        * "type of parameter ... does not match that when preparing the plan"
+        * when such a record variable is used in a query within the function.
+        */
+       for (int i = 0; i < procStruct->pronargs; i++)
+       {
+           if (hashkey->argtypes[i] != RECORDOID)
+               continue;
+
+           // ??? I presume other parts of the system synchronize these two arrays
+           // In particular for default arguments not specified in the function call
+           // or named-argument function call syntax.
+
+           /* Don't bother trying to substitute once we run out of input arguments */
+           if (i > fcinfo->nargs - 1)
+               break;
+
+           hashkey->argtypes[i] =
+               get_call_expr_argtype(fcinfo->flinfo->fn_expr, i);
+       }

+select record_to_form_data(fruit1) from fruit1;
+ record_to_form_data
+---------------------
+ (1,apple,red)
+(1 row)
+
+select record_to_form_data(fruit2) from fruit2;
+ record_to_form_data
+ (1,apple)
+(1 row)
+
Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Logical replication timeout problem
Сообщение: Re: Logical replication timeout problem