Re: psql emit WARNING if built with option --with-extra-version and the option only contains numbers

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: psql emit WARNING if built with option --with-extra-version and the option only contains numbers
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 7:52 AM Jet Zhang <jet.cx.zhang@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

As the doc mentioned, the --with-extra-version can be a distribution package release number. But if I build the program like below configure:

./configure --prefix=/home/zhangchenxi/Workspace/c/.build/psql --enable-debug --enable-depend --enable-cassert --with-extra-version=.54321 CFLAGS=-O0

psql (14.2.54321, server 14.2.54321)

WARNING: psql major version 14, server major version 19.

         Some psql features might not work.

Type "help" for help.

./configure --prefix=/home/zhangchenxi/Workspace/c/.build/psql --enable-debug --enable-depend --enable-cassert --with-extra-version=54321 CFLAGS=-O0

the extra version STRING 54321 with no dot (.)

psql (14.254321, server 14.254321)

WARNING: psql major version 14, server major version 39.

         Some psql features might not work.

Type "help" for help.

My recollection is most people specify --with-extra-version= by having a leading hyphen.

14.2-54321
Maybe we need to document and enforce this convention (or, at least, enforce the first character cannot be period or a number).

David J.