Re: [BUGS] BUG #14817: pg_dumpall is not generating create database statements

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14817: pg_dumpall is not generating create database statements
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 8:20 AM, <alex@yuscott.co.uk> wrote:

Bug reference:      14817
Logged by:          Alexander Scott
Email address:      alex@yuscott.co.uk
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.5
Operating system:   CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)

I have a fresh install of 9.6.5 with a default postgres database.

I have REVOKED ALL FROM public, created a couple of roles and 1 initial
user.

I wanted to take a dump of the entire cluster to store but the output file
lacks create statements for the databases.

Working as intended (at least per code comments in pg_dumpall.c @1464) - the only databases that exist (postgres, template0, template1) in your installation are the default databases.  pg_dumpall is assuming that the target cluster that you will be restoring into will already contain them (and a freshly created cluster should) and so decides it does not need to create them itself.

You will probably need to describe a more complete use case, with an actual failure, in order to convince someone to change this.

David J.