Re: Unclear\mistakable description of UPDATE behaviour in "13.2.1. Read Committed Isolation Level"

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Unclear\mistakable description of UPDATE behaviour in "13.2.1. Read Committed Isolation Level"
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 11:18 PM radiodiversion <radiodiversion@gmail.com> wrote:
change sentence: "The search condition of the command (the WHERE clause) is re-evaluated to see if the updated version of the row still matches the search condition."
with sentence: "The search condition of the command (the WHERE clause) is re-evaluated only for updated versions of rows to see if they still match the search condition. Note that this is different from re-executing the command."

I'm indifferent about adding the additional note about this not being a new command start: while the whole of the paragraph makes it clear that once the command begins it waits and then continues the added note isn't going to make things worse.

I do not believe the "only for updated versions of rows" is an improvement - the immediately preceding sentence already says exactly that.  I'd rather use fewer words in this already quite long paragraph.

David J.