Re: Cannot create canonicalization function for user-defined range type

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Cannot create canonicalization function for user-defined range type
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 5:00 AM Avery Fischer <biggerfisch@gmail.com> wrote:
ERROR:  PL/pgSQL functions cannot return type myrange

Am I misunderstanding the docs, or are they out-of-date, or is something else going on? How can I create a canonicalization function for my range type?

In short, I'm pretty sure shell types can only be referenced in C language functions.  The allowed types listing for pl/pgsql doesn't mention shell types and this error reinforces the fact that the omission is indeed a reflection of the fact that shell types are not allowed.

Thus one needs to write a C language function if one wishes to implement a custom range.

David J.