Re: [BUGS] BUG #14759: insert into foreign data partitions fail

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14759: insert into foreign data partitions fail
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
On 2017/07/25 6:28, mtuncer@gmail.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      14759
> Logged by:          Murat Tuncer
> Email address:      mtuncer@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 10beta2
> Operating system:   Mac 10.12.6
>
> I got
>
> ERROR:  cannot route inserted tuples to a foreign table

Inserting tuples into a partitioned table that will route to one of its
foreign table partitions is unsupported in PG 10.  The limitation is
mentioned on the following page:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/ddl-partitioning.html

It would be nice to also note this limitation here:

Also, the ddl-partitioning.html page has a section "5.10.2.3. Limitations".  Moving (or duplicating maybe) the existing comment on that page in that section would make finding out about this limitation a bit easier.

I'd probably move (and rework) the "limitation wording" to the limitation sections and do something like the following in the main section.

"Foreign Tables can be added to a partitioning structure but inserts to the partitioned table will fail if they are routed to a foreign table partition.  Direct writes to the foreign table, and partition reads, work normally."

I'm curious what the other limitations are...

David J.