Re: doc: Clarify what "excluded" represents for INSERT ON CONFLICT

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: doc: Clarify what "excluded" represents for INSERT ON CONFLICT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 1:43 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 11:40 AM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>     As one cannot place excluded in a FROM clause (subquery) in the
>     ON CONFLICT clause referring to it as a table, ...

Well, it would be nice if you had included a test case rather than
leaving it to the reviewer or committer to construct one.  In general,
dropping subtle patches with minimal commentary isn't really very
helpful.

Fair point.

But I decided to dig in and see what I could figure out. I constructed
this test case first, which does work:

rhaas=# create table foo (a int primary key, b text);
CREATE TABLE
rhaas=# insert into foo values (1, 'blarg');
INSERT 0 1
rhaas=# insert into foo values (1, 'frob') on conflict (a) do update
set b = (select excluded.b || 'nitz');
INSERT 0 1
rhaas=# select * from foo;
 a |    b
---+----------
 1 | frobnitz
(1 row)

Initially I thought that was the case you were talking about, but
after staring at your email for another 20 minutes, I figured out that
you're probably talking about something more like this, which doesn't
work:

rhaas=# insert into foo values (1, 'frob') on conflict (a) do update
set b = (select b || 'nitz' from excluded);
ERROR:  relation "excluded" does not exist
LINE 1: ...ct (a) do update set b = (select b || 'nitz' from excluded);

Right, the word "excluded" appearing immediately after the word FROM is what I meant by:

"As one cannot place excluded in a FROM clause (subquery) in the
    ON CONFLICT clause"

It is clear that, at the level of the code,
"excluded" behaves like a pseudo-table,

And people in the code are capable of understanding this without difficulty no matter how we write it.  They are not the target audience.

but I
think that the threshold to commit a patch like this is that the
change has to be a clear improvement, and I don't think it is.

I'm hoping for "more clear and accurate without making things worse"...

The fact that it does not and cannot use FROM and that it never refers to more than a single row (which is what motivated the change in the first place) for me make using the word table here more trouble than it is worth.

I think it might be fruitful to consider whether some of the error
messages here could be improved

Possibly...

or even whether some of the
non-working cases could be made to work,

That would, IMO, make things worse.  "excluded" isn't a table in that sense, anymore than "NEW" and "OLD" in the context of triggers.

but I'm just not really
seeing the value of tinkering with documentation which is, in my view,
not wrong.

Current:
"The SET and WHERE clauses in ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE have access to the
existing row using the table's name (or an alias), and to [rows] proposed
for insertion using the special excluded table."

The word table in that sentence is wrong and not a useful way to think of the thing which we've named excluded.  It is a single value of a composite type having the structure of the named table.

I'll agree that most people will mentally paper over the difference and go merrily on their way.  At least one person recently did not do that, which prompted an email to the community, which prompted a response and this suggestion to avoid that in the future while, IMO, not making understanding of the concept any less clear.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: doc: Clarify what "excluded" represents for INSERT ON CONFLICT
Сообщение: Re: doc: Clarify what "excluded" represents for INSERT ON CONFLICT