Re: FILTER/WITHIN GROUP vs. expressions; is a HINT possible here?

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: FILTER/WITHIN GROUP vs. expressions; is a HINT possible here?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
On 04/16/2015 01:01 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> If this is not covered adequately enough in the documentation then that
> should be remedied.  Did you evaluate the documentation in that light
> while preparing your blog post?

Your response seems very defensive.  I'm unclear on why discussing
improving an error message should get such a hostile response; it
certainly doesn't invite a serious reply.

Mostly because ​I have no clue how difficult it would be​...

​I'm all for improvement but obviously if it was that simple you would have just proposed the desired wording and asked someone to commit it.  I was trying to understand (and communicate my understanding) why it wasn't done better in the first place.

Beyond that there is still the need to teach the user the correct syntax of these functions - and not only point out when they get it wrong so they blindly fix their typo - in order to better avoid the situation where the syntax is valid but the outcome is unexpected.  Two separate problems of which the later seems more important than the former - and probably somewhat easier to implement.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes
Сообщение: Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes