Re: strange construct with RETURN within plpgsql

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: strange construct with RETURN within plpgsql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 6:08 AM, mariusz <marius@mtvk.pl> wrote:
On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 05:40 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 5:31 AM, mariusz <marius@mtvk.pl> wrote:
>
>         so, if there is a reason for such a construct and it does
>         something i
>         didn't notice, please let me know what is the purpose of
>         keyword RETURN
>         after a valid statement.
>

> ​
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-RETURNING

yes, i know what RETURN does and when it does not exit from function
(like RETURN NEXT or RETURN QUERY), i know that part of docs, even read
that again and again before sending, but i must be blind, because i
cannot see any mention of
<statement> RETURN;
where that RETURN keyword does nothing (note the lack of ; before
return)
maybe knowing all that i just pass the docs too fast, but i honestly
cannot see why is this allowed.

the only similar thing which comes to my mind is a statement with
RETURNING ... clause within cte, but it's not the case here (nor the
same spelling)

​Yeah, I failed to grasp the entire question.

Pavel's answer covers this; RETURN is not a reserved word and thus it is not an error to use it as a column label - and in this context that is how RETURN is being parsed.

Typos that just happen be valid syntax is a general problem in a declarative language like SQL

It would be interesting if (some?) queries supplied to the pl/pgsql executor could be made to fail if column or table aliases were present - though at this point it would never be accepted. Maybe something like plpgsql_check (static analyzer) could point these out?

David J.

От: mariusz
Сообщение: Re: strange construct with RETURN within plpgsql
От: mariusz
Сообщение: Re: strange construct with RETURN within plpgsql