Re: BUG #14179: Not enough info in error message

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #14179: Not enough info in error message
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 3:50 AM, <dmigowski@ikoffice.de> wrote:

> Bug reference:      14179
> Logged by:          Daniel Migowski
> Email address:      dmigowski@ikoffice.de
> PostgreSQL version: 9.5.2
> Operating system:   all
>
> Hello,
>
> I often get some error like: value too long for type character
> varying(160).
> Not it is hard for me to check which column contained the constraint.

=E2=80=8BThis is a frequent complaint with no easy, and in some queries no
possible, solution.=E2=80=8B

> I would love to see something like: "value too long for type character
> varying(160) in column mytable.mycolumn"=E2=80=8B

=E2=80=8BCREATE TABLE sample (col text CHECK (length(col) <=3D 160));=E2=80=
=8B

This would have safed me at least 20 hours during the last years!

> If you fix this, please backport to 9.5, and I would immediately upgrade
> all
> our servers.

=E2=80=8BEven if this was improved upon it would never be back-ported.  It =
is not a
bug.

=E2=80=8BThere is more in-depth discussion out there on these lists but I d=
o not
have the time at the moment to search around for it.=E2=80=8B

I did check the FAQ and this topic does not appear there :(  Maybe it will
in the future...

David J.

От: boa@neogrid.dk
Сообщение: BUG #14180: Segmentation fault on replication slave
От: Emiel Hermsen
Сообщение: Case in Order By Ignored without warning or error