Re: Synopsis of SELECT statement: UNION, INTERSECTION, EXCEPT

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Synopsis of SELECT statement: UNION, INTERSECTION, EXCEPT
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
As a first step we could do something like:

​basic_select_statement is:
SELECT [ ALL | DISTINCT [ ON ( expression [, ...] ) ] ]
    [ * | expression [ [ AS ] output_name ] [, ...] ]
    [ FROM from_item [, ...] ]
    [ WHERE condition ]
    [ GROUP BY grouping_element [, ...] ]
    [ HAVING condition [, ...] ]
    [ WINDOW window_name AS ( window_definition ) [, ...] ]

​full_select_statement is basic_select_statement with the following possible additional clauses tacked onto the end:

    [ ORDER BY expression [ ASC | DESC | USING operator ] [ NULLS { FIRST | LAST } ] [, ...] ]
    [ LIMIT { count | ALL } ]
    [ OFFSET start [ ROW | ROWS ] ]
    [ FETCH { FIRST | NEXT } [ count ] { ROW | ROWS } ONLY ]
    [ FOR { UPDATE | NO KEY UPDATE | SHARE | KEY SHARE } [ OF table_name [, ...] ] [ NOWAIT | SKIP LOCKED ] [...] ]

and that's still not right because ORDER BY et al can't be attached to a
select_stmt that's the argument of a set operation, so really we'd need
a couple of levels of nonterminals before we get down to the basic
"SELECT expression FROM ..." part.  Nor has the use of parentheses been
mentioned yet.

​Then we can define the set clauses in terms of basic_select_stmt and parentheses-surrounded full_select_stmt. The result of the set clause is itself a type of basic_select_statement which can be made full by adding one or more of the additional clauses, including ORDER BY.

David J.