Re: BUG #17085: Should be able to create an index without referential checking when ON DELETE NO ACTION

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #17085: Should be able to create an index without referential checking when ON DELETE NO ACTION
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 5:33 PM Victor Porton <porton.victor@gmail.com> wrote:

That's a typo, I meant foreign keys, not indexes.

OK, then add the "NOT VALID" qualifier to your ALTER TABLE command.  But you will have to perform validation at some point...

Anyway, after following my advice PostgreSQL would become more "logical" and more convenient for users.

There is no reason to have different rules for ALTER TABLE and for DELETE/UPDATE.

It's hard to follow the advice contained in an email that doesn't seem to understand how things work today.

The subject of the report - which isn't a bug by the way - is to skip referential checking when adding an index.  PostgreSQL doesn't do that today...

David J.