Re: [BUGS] BUG #14500: error message displays "schema dot relation"in double quotes all together

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14500: error message displays "schema dot relation"in double quotes all together
Дата
Re: [BUGS] BUG #14500: error message displays "schema dot relation" in double quotes all together  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:09 AM, <vodevsh@gmail.com> wrote:

Bug reference:      14500
Logged by:          Vladimir Svedov
Email address:      vodevsh@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.1
Operating system:   Linux

Hi,
I'm not sure if it's a bug or feature, but I find error message misleading.
ERROR: relation [“schema_name.table_name”] does not exist gives an
impression that schema name is part of relation name. Should not it be
ERROR: relation [“schema name”].["table_name"] does not exist instead? I
doubt it's a bug, because this message seems version not specific. But does
not it look wrong?

​I see the confusion but supposedly you'd have to write your alternate version:

relation ""schema_name"."table_name"" does not exist - and the excess of quotes in that situation would be problematic.

More to the point, the double quotes are not part of the identifiers but rather offset the item being named from the rest of the sentence fragment.  ​The portion within the quotes is case-sensitive and reflects that value being looked up after any case-folding happens.

Its definitely not a bug and doesn't seem like something that would be worth it to change.

David J.