Re: [BUGS] BUG #14155: bloom index error with unlogged table

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14155: bloom index error with unlogged table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Moving my griping to -hackers only

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
digoal@126.com writes:
> postgres=# create unlogged table u_tbl (id int);
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# create index idx_u_tbl on u_tbl using bloom (id);
> ERROR:  index "idx_u_tbl" already contains data

Yeah, it looks like nobody ever tested bloom's unlogged-index support;
it doesn't work or even come very close to working.  Will fix, thanks
for the report!

​I'll tack on my own gripe here, just because.

It doesn't give me a lot of confidence in what was committed when the summary sentence for the module says:

"
bloom is a module which implements an index access method. It comes as an example of custom access methods and generic WAL records usage. But it is also useful in itself.
​"​

​Honestly, as a user I couldn't care less that bloom is "an example custom access method"​.  I want to know what it does and that it does so reliably, and has a easy-to-use interface.  I complained earlier about its lack of direct support for the boolean type.  Teodor's response on the thread wasn't particularly encouraging:
I also see that the following -hacker thread didn't get resolved:

I would not be surprised to see additional problems crop up in the module.  Tom's characterization above just reinforces that.

David J.