Re: psql: Add role's membership options to the \du+ command

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: psql: Add role's membership options to the \du+ command
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 24, 2023 at 8:11 AM Pavel Luzanov <p.luzanov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
Notes
* The name of the new command. It's a good name, if not for the history.
There are two commands showing the same information about roles: \du and
\dr.
The addition of \drg may be misinterpreted: if there is \drg, then there
is also \dug.
Maybe it's time to think about deprecating of the \du command and leave
only \dg in the next versions?

I would add \dr as the new official command to complement adding \drg and deprecate both \du and \dg.  Though actual removal and de-documenting doesn't seem like a good idea.  But if we ever did assign something non-role to \dr it would be very confusing.

* The new meta-command will also make sense for versions <16.
The ADMIN OPTION is available in all supported versions.

Doesn't every role pre-16 gain SET permission?  We can also deduce whether the grant provides INHERIT based upon the attribute of the role in question.

* The new meta-command will not show all roles. It will only show the
roles included in other roles.
To show all roles you need to add an outer join between pg_roles and
pg_auth_members.
But all columns except "role" will be left blank. Is it worth doing this?

I'm inclined to want this.  I would be good when specifying a role to filter upon that all rows that do exist matching that filter end up in the output regardless if they are standalone or not.

David J.