Re: [GENERAL] Caching and Blobs in PG? Was: Can PG replace redis,amqp, s3 in the future?

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Caching and Blobs in PG? Was: Can PG replace redis,amqp, s3 in the future?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze@mail.de> wrote:
On 03.05.2017 12:57, Thomas Güttler wrote:
Am 02.05.2017 um 05:43 schrieb Jeff Janes:
​​

No.  You can certainly use PostgreSQL to store blobs.  But then, you need to store the PostgreSQL data **someplace**.
If you don't store it in S3, you have to store it somewhere else.

I don't understand what you mean here. AFAIK storing blobs in PG is not recommended since it is not very efficient.

Seems like several people here disagree with this conventional wisdom.

I think what he was talking about the data itself. You have to store the bits and bytes somewhere (e.g. on S3).

​I'm not sure I'd be comfortable placing my PostgreSQL data directory on an S3-based mount...

​I would look at any general recommendation in this area with suspicion.  Learn how different alternatives works, evaluate your needs, and make an informed decision for your specific scenario.  Reading other's experiences helps with the education aspect but unless their scenario is exactly like yours you should probably refrain from directly accepting their conclusions.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Caching and Blobs in PG? Was: Can PG replace redis,amqp, s3 in the future?
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Caching and Blobs in PG? Was: Can PG replace redis, amqp, s3 in the future?