Re: [BUGS] Failure to coerce unknown type to specific type

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [BUGS] Failure to coerce unknown type to specific type
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
Hello, I think this is a bug.

The core of this problem is that coerce_type() fails for Var of
type UNKNOWNOID.

The comment for the function says that,

> * The caller should already have determined that the coercion is possible;
> * see can_coerce_type.

But can_coerce_type() should say it's possible to convert from
unknown to any type as it doesn't see the target node type. I
think this as an inconsistency between can_coerce_type and
coerce_type. So making this consistent would be right way.

​You have two pieces of contradictory knowledge - how are you picking which one to "fix"?​

Concerning only this issue, putting on-the-fly conversion for
unkown nonconstant as attached patch worked for me. I'm not so
confident on this, though..

​Confident about what aspect - the safety of the patch itself or whether the conversion is even a good idea?​

David J.​