Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 12:05 PM Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
Mails to a mailing list should be text (or even ASCII) because not all
subscribers can read HTML or images and they're not needed to describe a
problem.

Its 2021; if an image is useful for the topic at hand (say designing a system and having a diagram showing that design) then that image should be allowed.
Images have the risk to have malicious content with the intention to use bugs
in the image viewers. HTML can "phone home" with one pixel href's to
check if you opened the HTML page.

Fair points though I'd be inclined to argue whether such fears are sufficient.  As doing nothing is the status quo and we haven't had incidents of this nature it seems like it not a problem in practice for whatever reason.

> As we seem to be compiling a list for people to review upfront (the major
> points in this thread should make it to the website and be linked to by
> community responders when encountering said problematic posts).
>
> Always reply-to-all.

Why? Why I (and other subscribers) have to have the same mail twice in
the mbox?

It's useful to be able to see who is involved in the discussion by looking at the recipients and being able to know which of the hundreds of -general threads that hit my inbox I actually replied to in the past and thus can filter them to bring to my attention while leaving alone ones I'm not involved in.

In reverse setting up a rule to ignore emails sent both to the group and myself is possible if I wish to treat any that hit the group the same and know that the ones also addressed personally are duplicates to those others.

So reply-all gives people options while reply-to-list only doesn't.  Options are good.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?
Сообщение: Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?