Re: BUG #17734: Doc bug: "initial database user" used where "bootstrap superuser" is meant

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #17734: Doc bug: "initial database user" used where "bootstrap superuser" is meant
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Thursday, December 29, 2022, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      17734
Logged by:          Bryn Llewellyn
Email address:      bryn@yugabyte.com
PostgreSQL version: 15.0
Operating system:   macOS Big Sur Version 11.7.

See «37.1. The Schema»
(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/infoschema-schema.html):

«
This schema automatically exists in all databases. The owner of this schema
is the initial database user in the cluster, and that user naturally has all
the privileges on this schema...
»

See this "pgsql-general" thread:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/8A2C8B1B-470B-42F9-9694-C1EDDAC06266@yugabyte.com.

It concluded with the decision the the proper term for the role that the
thread discusses is "bootstrap superuser". The proper term should therefore
be used consistently throughout the PG docs.

Yeah, we’ve come to an agreement on terminology but there is work to be done to fix up the documentation to match.  I’ve got a thread out here somewhere with a first pass at it.  I’ve flagged this report to incorporate into the second pass.  Whether that patch is ultimately deemed a back-patchable bug fix hasn’t been discussed though I’m mostly figuring it will be a v16 improvement only.  I’m not pushing to get something out before the next minor release in any case.

David J.