Re: PostgreSQL Audit Extension

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Audit Extension
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 10:37 AM, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
> On 2/1/16 11:23 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

>> In
>> saying that it's arbitrary, I'm not saying it isn't *useful*.  I'm
>> saying there could be five extensions like this that make equally
>> arbitrary decisions about what to do and how to do it, and they could
>> all be useful to different people.
>
> There *could* be five extensions but there are not.  To my knowledge
> there are two and one is just a more evolved version of the other.

Right now that may be true, although it wouldn't surprise me very much
to find out that other people have written such extensions and they
just didn't get as much press.  Also, consider the future.  It is
*possible* that your version of pgaudit will turn out to be the be-all
and the end-all, but it's equally possible that somebody will fork
your version in turn and evolve it some more.  I don't see how you can
look at the pgaudit facilities you've got here and say that this is
the last word on auditing and all PostgreSQL users should be content
with exactly that facility.  I find that ridiculous.  Look me in the
eye and tell me that nobody's going to fork your version and evolve it
a bunch more.

​This rings hollow to me.  JSON got included with an admittedly weak feature set and then got significantly improved upon in subsequent releases.  Those who would be incline to fork pgaudit, seeing it already being in core, would more likely and to the benefit of the community put that work into improving the existing work.​  My off-the-cuff understanding is that some current big features (namely the parallel-related stuff) are also taking this "lets commit smaller but still useful pieces" into core to build up to this super-feature we want working two years from now.  I don't see any fundamental reason auditing couldn't be given the same opportunity to improve inside core.

The other major downside of having it in core is that now the feature release cycle is tied to core.  Telling PostGIS they can only release new features when new versions of PostgreSQL come out would be an unacceptable situation.

The best of both worlds would be for core to have its own implementation written as an extension and to readily allow for other implementations to be plugged in as well.  As your alluded to above there are likely a number of things core really needs to enable such functionality without providing the entire UI - leaving that for extensions.

> People who are interested in audit are also understandably leery of
> downloading code from an untrusted source.  Both PGXN and GitHub are The
> Wild West as far as conservative auditors are concerned.

I hate to be rude here, but that's not my problem.  You can put it on
your corporate web site and let people download it from there.  I'm
sure that auditors are familiar with the idea of downloading software
from for-profit companies.  Do they really not use any software from
Microsoft or Apple, for example?  If the problem is that they will
trust the PostgreSQL open source project but not YOUR company, then I
respectfully suggest that you need to establish the necessary
credibility, not try to piggyback on someone else's.

​A bit short-sighted maybe.  Endorsing and including such a feature could open PostgreSQL up to a​ new market being supported by people who right now are not readily able to join the PostgreSQL community because they cannot invest the necessary resources to get the horses put before the cart.  Those people, if they could get their clients to more easily use PostgreSQL, may just find it worth their while to then contribute back to this new frontier that has been opened up to them.  This would ideally increase the number of contributors and reviewers within the community which is the main thing that is presently needed.

> I'll be the first to admit that the design is not the prettiest.  Trying
> to figure out what Postgres is doing internally through a couple of
> hooks is like trying to replicate the script of a play when all you have
> is the program.  However, so far it has been performed well and been
> reliable in field tests.

That's good to hear, but again, it's not enough for a core submission.
Code that goes into our main git repository needs to be "the
prettiest".  I mean it's not all perfect of course, but it should be
pretty darn good.

Also, understand this: when you get a core submission accepted, the
core project is then responsible for maintaining that code even if you
disappear.  It's entirely reasonable for the project to demand that
this isn't going to be too much work.  It's entirely reasonable for
the community to want the design to be very good and the code quality
to be high.

​So far so good...​

It's entirely reasonable for the community NOT to want to
privilege one implementation over another.

​This, not so much.  At some point if it is decided the feature needs to be in core then an existing implementation would have to be adopted by core.  If the rule becomes "we cannot commit to core anything that has two implementations in the wild" becomes a norm then our extension mechanisms better be damn good.  So admitting that you cannot decide is reasonable and human but choosing not to decide is like abstaining to vote when you are in a position of appointed authority.  You were placed into your position as committer so that you (along with the others so appointed) could make decisions like this and as a community member I would hope you would do everything in your power to inform yourself enough to make such a decision when asked to do so.

This specific situation does suffer from having multiple different dynamics to consider - which have already been discussed up-thread - but I guess fundamentally does the question is: does the community want an official implementation of auditing present in core?

For the record I would.  Ideally I would also have the option to choose a non-core extension should core's chosen implementation or constraints (upgrade schedule) not fit my needs.  But having a reference implementation, and thus in-house usage of the various features that an auditing feature would ideally be able to lean on core to provide, is appealing.  But, as a pre-condition I'd want at least a couple of committers who whole-heartedly feel the same way and are willing to take on the necessary research and decisions to make it happen.  There are significant resources out there that will help but that need a leader with authority to which their efforts can be funneled. That is a personal opinion that is based more upon the overall structure of the project and community than it does any specifics of a submitted patch.  If there is a will to get it in then most likely it will happen at some point.

If you don't agree that
those things are reasonable then we disagree pretty fundamentally on
the role of the community.  The community is a group of people to whom
I (or you) can give our time and my (or your) code, not a group of
people who owe me (or you) anything.

​From my point above your acceptance of the commit bit does entail a certain degree of responsibility to the rest of the community.  The good news is that only those who have already exhibited such a sense of responsibility are given the privilege.  And usually that is sufficient but in situations where it is not there is also the formal core committee that can act when the committer group is hamstrung (for lack of a better term) by its informal nature.

​David J.