Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.
Дата
Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:

These two values are completely indistinguishable. That's good for a
timestamp (they are the same time after all). But they are not a
"timestamp with time zone". The time zone is not part of the value but
of the environment.

No, it’s inherent to the data type itself.  The data type has an implied time zone of UTC.  That is a reasonable definition of “with” in my book.  If I see “20:05” I need to know the type of data to know whether its a time or interval - values without types are incomplete.  i.e., the type can supply relevant context, like a reference time zone.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.
Сообщение: Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.