Re: [HACKERS] dubious error message from partition.c

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [HACKERS] dubious error message from partition.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 8:34 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
A small suggestion is that it'd be better to write it like "Specified
upper bound \"%s\" precedes lower bound \"%s\"."  I think "succeeds" has
more alternate meanings than "precedes", so the wording you have seems
more confusing than it needs to be.  (Of course, the situation could be
the opposite in other languages, but translators have the ability to
reverse the ordering if they need to.)

Or you could just go with "follows" instead of "succeeds".

​"exceeds" seems to be the word the original sentence was looking for.  If using a single word I kinda like reversing the direction and using "precedes"​ though.  "follows" makes it sound like a puppy :)

"is greater than" is a bit more verbose but an option as well - one that seems more natural in this space - and yes I've reverted back to lower->upper with this wording.  I think the hard "x" in exceeds is what turned me off to it.

David J.