Re: Fix typos - "an" instead of "a"

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Fix typos - "an" instead of "a"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 5:32 PM Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 11:25 AM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

>> -   # safe: cross compilers may not add the suffix if given an `-o'
>> +   # safe: cross compilers may not add the suffix if given a `-o'
>>     # argument, so we may need to know it at that point already.
>> On this one, I think that you are right, and I can see that this is
>> the most common practice (aka grep --oids).  But my brain also tells
>> me that this is not completely wrong either.  Thoughts?
>>

> I would read that aloud most comfortably using "an".  I found an article that seems to further support this since it both sounds like a vowel (oh) and is also a letter (oh).
>
> https://www.grammar.com/a-vs-an-when-to-use

What about the "-" before the "o"?
Wouldn't it be read as "dash o" or "minus o"? This would mean "a" is
correct, not "an", IMHO.

Yeah, I was treating the leading dash as being silent...the syntax dash(es) for single and multi-character arguments seems unimportant to read aloud in the general sense.  If one does read them then yes, "a" is correct.  Lacking any documented preference I would then just go with what is prevalent in existing usage.

David J.