Re: psql backward compatibility

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: psql backward compatibility
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 9:30 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 11:05 -0500, Stephen Haddock wrote:
> When upgrading an older version of postgres, version 8.4 for example, to a newer
>  version such as 9.6, does the data have to be migrated immediately?

Since nobody mentioned that explicitly: do not upgrade to 9.6.
If you upgrade, move to v13.

Not sure I'd suggest people upgrade to v13.  If they are in a position to do so and accept the risk involved with a first year point release great, but I wouldn't make that assumption when making a blind suggestion.  v12 would be the best from an efficiency/risk perspective at this moment in time, IMO.  v9.6 is only being supported for one more year would be the reason to avoid choosing it.

David J.