Re: Re: Patch to add functionality to specify ORDER BY in CREATE FUNCTION for SRFs

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: Re: Patch to add functionality to specify ORDER BY in CREATE FUNCTION for SRFs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Even checking whether the output of the function is in the right order or not, has its cost. I am suggesting that we can eliminate this cost as well. For example, PostgreSQL does not check whether a function is really immutable or not.

Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

 I imagine if it could be done reliably and cheaply the volatility specifier would be checked.  There are a number of situations where not doing so confuses users and we get complaints.  If we allow a constraint to be specified we should try to error if that constraint is violated - otherwise we probably should not allow it to be defined in the first place.

David J.