Re: [BUGS] Row security policies using session variable can be circumvented

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [BUGS] Row security policies using session variable can be circumvented
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 5:12 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
The above 'grant all on accounts to tmp;' isn't necessary for the 'tmp'
role to be able to access 'test' and therefore the records in
'accounts', because that access is done as the owner of the 'test' view.

> Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

This isn't a bug but simply how views work (and have always worked with
the GRANT system and the RLS system simply operates in the same manner).

Might I suggest pointing out this implication ​in the docs instead of just having the user make the connection themselves.

Right now:

"As with normal queries and views, permission checks and policies for the tables which are referenced by a view will use the view owner's rights and any policies which apply to the view owner."

I would simply add (though it is redundant with the content of ddl-rowsecurity).

"Thus, if the view owner and table owner are the same role no policies will be enforced when querying the table through the view unless subsequently alters the table and force[s] row level security."

Especially since this would seem to be one valid exception that is implied when we write:

"(However, the table's owner is typically not subject to row security policies.)"

I'd probably write "is, by default, not subject" instead of "typically".

In there it discusses how the OP would probably be advised to make this work as expected:

ALTER TABLE ... FORCE ROW LEVEL SECURITY

The entire sentence is:

"Superusers and roles with the BYPASSRLS attribute always bypass the row security system when accessing a table. Table owners normally bypass row security as well, though a table owner can choose to be subject to row security with ALTER TABLE ... FORCE ROW LEVEL SECURITY."

I would consider adding:

"This can be useful, for instance, one wish to create a view that enforces the RLS policies of the underlying table and have the view be owned by the same role that owns the table."

David J.